I did a post earlier on the hair products that I use and my favorite lotions. Since that post, my beauty routine has changed drastically. I only use one product now and that is coconut oil. When my nephew had eczema, my sister read online that coconut oil cures it. One night when I was babysitting, I lathered him up with the oil and noticed how much he smelled like the beach mixed with a piña colada.I decided that I was going to use it as a lotion just for the smell. After I did some research, I found out that there are so many ways to use it.
1. HAIR- It is a natural way to make your hair soft and healthy. I usually put Kerastase elixir through my hair before I shampoo it but coconut oil does the exact same thing. It penetrates and protects your hair. I also put it on my hair after I have washed it(either wet or dry) to protect it from the heat. When you shampoo your hair, you want to get the oil out of your roots but the rest of the hair needs to have moisture so the oil protects it.
2. EYES- I rub some of the oil around my eyes before I go to bed. It moisturizes my skin and helps restore it after I have rubbed off all the under-eye makeup. One of my friends also puts it on her face as a moisturizer and says it really hydrates it.
3. BODY- I use the coconut oil as my body lotion after I get out of the shower. It not only makes your body smell great but it leaves your skin silky and smooth. Just make sure that you rub it in really good or wait about 15 minutes for it to dry .A small amount of this oil goes a long way.
Coconut oil has been one of my favorite and best-kept secrets. Give it a try and let me know of other ways that you use it.
Favorite Pet : @utacci
Favorite Interior Design : @huntersalley
Favorite Nature :@kdkuiper
Favorite Foodie : @spoonforkbacon
Favorite Laugh: @satiregram
I’m pretty sure there are days when I am very Instagram obsessed. I love looking at pictures of beautiful sunsets, cute cats, and pictures of the latest styles. I find myself checking my insta feed way too much and I have compiled a list of the accounts that I am constantly stalking. I’m sure I am leaving many off of the list. Let me know who your must follow accounts are in the comments, and I’ll be sure to check them out!
It’s time for teachers, time for books and time to start the school year off on a great foot! On today’s lesson plan, I’ll be sharing my back to school basics to help you prepare for the coming school year. Even if your school days are over like mine, there are still great tips to freshen up your work week!
1. Lay out your outfits ahead of time- One of my friends told me that she set out her clothes on Sunday night for the entire week and so in the morning she saved time. I know this isn’t an earth shattering idea but I never thought to lay them out for the entire week. I usually just did it the night before for the next day but it was actually very useful. To add to that, during the summer, I laid out outfits that went together and took pictures of them so that I could see all of the options and clothes that I could chose from in my closet.
2. Get those inspirational photos ready- Get some inspiration pictures to hang in your locker, put on your desk, or tack onto your bulletin board. Pictures could be of your summer vacation, your friends, family, or your beloved pet. I like to have pictures of some of my former students as a way to remind me of great students that have brought joy to my work days.
3. Have all of your supplies ready to go- I used to be and still am a school supply junkie. I loved going and picking out new binders, dividers, pencils, etc. I would organize them in my book bag so many times and then feel a bit of sadness when I actually had to use them.
4. Make a Guilty Pleasures Emergency Kit- If you don’t follow any of my other basics, follow this last one. Put together a bundle of your favorite guilty pleasures (chocolate, favorite magazines,latest season of your favorite show) for the end of those back to school days or after you take a really important test. You have full permission to tap into your emergency kit and take some much needed time to escape the pressures and stress. Of course, if you are like me and find yourself “inventing” emergencies (What! Scandal isn’t new this week?!!) just give in and indulge. That is just fine.
5. Double Check that Alarm Clock- There is nothing worse than being late on your first day because your alarm clock stopped working over the summer or you accidentally set it for P.M. instead of A.M
I am very much a book nerd and usually have a quota for the number of books that I like to read in a year. I have had such a busy June/July so I haven’t been able to read as many books as I have liked but I have devoted August to trying to get caught up. For those of you that do not know, August 9th is National Book Lovers Day and I can’t think of a better way to kick back and relax than with a great book. So whether you are in a shaded spot under a tree or tucked into bed, there is no better way to celebrate National Book Lovers Day then by delving into that book that you have been dying to read. Well, maybe celebrating by dressing up as your favorite book character would also do the trick. If you see anyone dressed as Amelia Bedelia, chances are- it is me!
If you do not have time to read today-check out some of favorite book passages below. Even better-add your favorite to the comments section!
But I knew one more thing. That people who denied who they were or where they had been were in the greatest danger.
Janet Fitch, White Oleander
We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we’ve lived through, or feel we’ve had enough time.
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
I know you can’t see it, not you, Ed, but maybe if I tell you the whole plot you’ll understand it this once, because even now I want you to see it. I don’t love you anymore, of course I don’t, but there’s still something I can show you. You know I want to be a director, but you never truly see the movies in my head and that, Ed, is why we broke up.
Daniel Handler, Why We Broke Up
I say if you love something, set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies.- Is Everyone Hanging out Without me?, Mindy Kaling
Sometimes he tried too hard to make sense of the world, to figure out why people were bad to each other so often.
Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
“If anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again.” —William P. Young, The Shack
D’you know what happens when you hurt people?’ Ammu said. ‘When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That’s what careless words do. They make people love you a little less.-The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.-Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.
I have been spending so much time this summer feeling like I am playing catch up on everything. I have not had much time to relax and feel like I constantly had something else I should be doing. This past weekend, I decided that I was going to take a few hours to enjoy myself and read some books that I had on my July booklist. It was the absolute perfect day outside, so I decided to enjoy the sunshine and my new favorite drink, Teavana® Shaken Iced Blackberry Mojito Tea Lemonade™. Normally when I go to Starbucks, I never stray about from my Skinny Carmel Macchiato, extra hot but during the summer months, I like to try new iced drinks and their Starbucks Teavana® Shaken Iced Teas were winners. My favorite is the Teavana® Shaken Iced Blackberry Mojito Tea Lemonade™ but I would be happy with any of them. The Teavana® Shaken Iced Black Tea Lemonade™ tastes like an upgraded Arnold Palmer and the Teavana® Shaken Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade™ is the perfect fruity drink for a picnic or the beach. If you have not had a chance, go try one of these teas and check out the creative videos to go along with them!
Be sure to check out my Pinterest board for more ways to shake up your summer!
Today I want to share with you a project that is near and dear to my heart. Many of you that have clicked through the website have seen the tab under about that takes you to mcc.org. It is a committee that helps provide aid, education, food &water, and various relief to places around the world. One of their missions is to provide school kits to students around the world. Since I am an elementary teacher and see how excited students get when they get out their new school supplies on the first day of school, this project hit close to home.
The school kits often are requested after disasters and help bring normalcy to children whose families have been forced to flee their homes. The distribution of the school kits is a much anticipated even for those families that have low incomes. Last year, MCC shipped 25, 513 to countries such as Jordan, Iraq, Ethiopia, Haiti, U.S., and many more.
If you are interested in making or donating supplies, check out the instructions below.
Contents (NEW items only)
- 4 spiral or perforated notebooks (8 1⁄2 x 10 1⁄2 in and 70 sheets)
- 8 unsharpened pencils
- 1 ruler (flat, flexible plastic; indicating both 30 cm and 12 in)
- 12 colored pencils (in packaging)
- 1 large pencil eraser
School kits are distributed in a useful double drawstring cloth bag (11in x 16in). You may:
- sew the bag yourself
- request bags from an MCC material resources center or
- donate contents that we will place in a bag
Head to MCC’s site to find a drop off location near you.
Romper: Lanston// Shoes: Vince Camuto (Love these)// Glasses: Karen Walker// Clutch: Aldo (old)// Watch: Kate Spade (Similar)// Bracelets: Stella & Dot// Rings: Stella & Dot, By Boe// Necklaces: Scrabble c/o, Stella &Dot
What are you up to this weekend? I am heading to Florida for a week long vacation so expect some lovely ocean views on instagram. Hope you have a good one, and here are a few great posts from around the web that I loved this week….
Girl Donates her Hair to Help Cancer Patients feel like Royalty (Huffington Post)
6 Trends You Are Not Too Young For. ( Refinery 29)
Why People who Hate Cats are Suspect (Hello Giggles)
That’s a Wrap (The Beauty Department)
This quote (Pinterest)
I’m pretty sure I’ve watched this movie 20 times.